captainspiffy

captainspiffy

Here, There Be Dragons
James A. Owen

The Steel Remains

The Steel Remains - Richard K. Morgan Overall, even though the hero's homoerotic sex scenes are a bit hard to swallow (get it ;) ), especially the ones deeper in the book, I liked the book.
The sex scenes are a bit much for my taste, but then again on the other side, I guess it's hard for homosexuals to identify with the hetero sex scenes.
I enjoyed the story, even though this first book serves to introduce some main characters for the later plot. It's definitely not your run-of-the-mill fantasy story. The main characters are more or less run-down heroes from the last big war, their victories either celebrated or shunned depending on their sexual preferences.

Be warned that the heroes are no white-armored knights. Magic is kept to a minimum, only one dead race had that power. And the book is not so much dark as advertised, it's realistic. You feel the choices the characters make are always in line with who they are.

In the end, the only thing nagging me about this book is probably the homosexual sex scenes, since that's the only thing i'm not used to..